Thursday, September 19, 2013

Cleaning code and names

I've done a big cleaning of the code: a lot of useless stuff of the initial engine's routines has been trashed along with a lot (but really a lot) old sprites, images I used for initial tests and so on. Now it's more essential and it seems that also the networking speed gets its profit out of it. Everything looks more fluid and smooth. Plus we have much more memory to spare.
I'm sure I might save some more memory by redesigning the data buffers but honestly everything works well enough right now and I don't really feel like going back in the pure networking code just to structure it better. As I said atm it does it job! Enough for me.

Once I finished with cleaning the code I came back to the pure game and I added the score table at the top of the screen: in the original game the player was just Player one, and the challenger wa just the Computer. Now because server player and client player must insert their names (for recognition in the connecting screen) we don't just have player one and computer but the real names inserted by the players at the connection menu. Cool stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment